Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm not homeless!

I found an apartment today! After many unreturned emails/phone calls and a sketchy time last Saturday, I finally found a place I’m excited about, and it’s only about a block away from the hostel I’m staying in now (in a really great area of town). It’s pretty much the smallest apartment ever, and the room is DEFINITELY the smallest room that exists in the world (if I were living under the stairs at the condo in Carmel, I’d probably have more space), but it’s bright and clean. It also has heat and air conditioning, an adorable balcony with pullout shades, a nice bathroom with a full sized shower and bidet, a washing machine (!!!), and soon a new fridge. There’s a little TV in my room too, and we have cable and Wi-Fi. Everything is included for ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH!
My future roommate seems really nice. She’s a waitress, so we’ll have nearly opposite schedules, but hopefully I’ll see her occasionally! She speaks pretty much no English, so I’m excited/scared to see if we can live together. Her current roommate is going home to Peru, but I met her today, and she was nice too. The real selling point for me is that they have a PUPPY! It’s a tiny black fuzzy thing, named (I think) Eve. When she told me the dog’s name, it sounded like “eh-beh,” which I suppose could actually be a lot of things.
I’m so excited to finally be moving into a real apartment. Some of the other people from EBC are sticking around, and they have an apartment in San Telmo, so hopefully I’ll get to see them sometimes. I hope everything will work out. This first month has been so amazing, I can’t really ask for more.

Chau, besos!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo Hoo! Oh, J., that sounds like an amazing place for you. What a chance to push your Spanish skills as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm not telling Taffy and Nutmeg about the puppy. They'd be jealous.

Mom

Anonymous said...

only cool people live in spaces the size of closets. glad you're having such a great time!
christine

Anonymous said...

i'm skipping this semester and coming to visit.
xo g

dstein said...

yayomgpuppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

im looking for an apartment in beijing for aug. there pretty much nothing less fun than looking for an apartment in beijing during the olympics...in chinese. also, being homeless in china is actually a crime, so i dont really have a choice.

also, i looked today, and a ticket from bj to ba is like $1200...so basically the same price as home. something to think about when i get all asiaed out / you just MUST have a whole suitcase full of chopsticks and pirated dvds.

Unknown said...

Hey Jessie!! Congrats on the apartment and I look forward to reading more updates from you!! Buena suerte, amiga!! :-D
~Rodela~

Marissa said...

That sounds great. How did you find this place? And where am I going to sleep when I come to visit?