Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New York/ Shenzhen: January 6-10

My flight from LaGuardia was really early in the morning, so I spent the night in Queens with Miss Lindsey Bagg! I hadn't seen Lindsey in a LONG time, so it was really great to catch up with her and meet some of her NYC friends. First, we went to a book launch, then out to dinner. Great times! Thanks for letting me stay with you, Linds. Come visit me in Buenos Aires or San Diego so I can return the favor!

The first thing I did upon arrival in Shenzhen was watch Danielle buy Street Meat from a guy with a little grill on the corner near her apartment. People mostly don't eat and run in Argentina, so this was an interesting little intro to life in Asia. I got there late at night, so the next thing I did was go to sleep. The adventure REALLY began the next day. Danielle had two more classes to teach, so I got to go to the second one! Her students were rowdy but adorable, and they loved being photographed!

After class, we had yummy peanutty noodles in the square outside the school. D lives in an apartment on the grounds of the middle school where she's a teacher. It's inside a gated community with upscale apartments, like a minitown. Here's the market (which also sells delicious veggie buns for like 15 cents-mmm):

Shenzhen is bright and clean and lovely (and not very cold!)

Another view of Shenzhen, right outside the mall that sells fake designer stuff, illegal movies, and handmade clothes. Best place ever? I think so!


Durians in the supermarket in Shenzhen. Smell-ay!


Tsing Tao beer= so Chinese (but not as good as Quilmes obv)

Danielle and me at karaoke, or "Ktv." Really popular in Asia. How did no one know the words to Gettin Jiggy Wit It??

To Be Continued...

No comments: