Sunday, February 22, 2009

La Vuelta

I have returned to Buenos Aires, where I'll be chillin in style until July. Overall, it's nice to be back. Everything is familiar, and I definitely missed it while I was gone. I had to switch apartments AGAIN, but my new one seems like a pretty good place. My room is HUGE, and the rest of the apartment looks alright. I have SIX housemates, which seems ridiculous (the place isn't THAT big), but the other bedrooms I've seen are muuuuuch smaller than mine. In one, two guys from northern Argentina are sharing, and that room is about half the size of mine. Two of the girls have single rooms, but they're just about big enough for a bed, dresser, and desk. That's it. For a random room I found on the internet and chose primarily because it's one of the cheaper options, I totally lucked out. Lisa B had me all worried that the room wouldn't be furnished, but thankfully it is (small bed, but what can you do?). Also, the place has semi-reliable WiFi, thank you GOD. That's all I need, really.

Now that I've settled in, the next order of business is to find a job. I've been in touch with my institutes, and they seem eager to give me classes, but possibly not until March. A lot of my friends here have gotten supplemental/replacement jobs, which tend to have the benefit of regular hours, guaranteed pay, and a single location. I would really like to get a job like this. It's not that I don't like teaching English, but it gets exhausting running all over the city for verrrry little money. Hopefully I'll be able to get something part time, and keep teaching as well.

The job factor may be the main reason I wasn't completely excited to come back. It's only four months, but last time it took a while to build up the classes I needed to be able to live semi-comfortably. It's important to me to get absolutely everything I can out of this experience, but that always has to balance with practicality and responsibility. I think I'll be eating a lot of eggs and oranges this month (some of the cheapest veggie things available)!

And now, since we like pictures, here are some that I took before leaving BA in December:

The Congress Building:

Japanese Botanical Garden, Palermo:
Cathedral and 25 de Mayo monument, Plaza de Mayo:

Boat museum at sunset, Puerto Madero:

Jacaranda tree in bloom, Congreso:

The Waterworks Building:
Avenida de Mayo:

No comments: