Thursday, August 21, 2008

Teaching

Time for an update about work, and my wonderful students.  It seems like everything is still up in the air, even after a month, but I have started working a bit, and I have to say, I'm loving it.

I'm working with 3 different institutes right now.  As Marissa says, I'm basically a private tutor.  All of my classes are one-on-one, and many of them are "conversation" classes with advanced English speakers- I basically get paid to talk to interesting people about news, their lives, etc.  For the lesss advanced students, I have workbooks provided by my institutes, and we work on the lessons together.  My favorite student is a 10 year old girl named Azul (like Blue in Special Topics in Calamity Physics- shout out to Xtine).  She gets English homework from school, so we do that together.  She is ADORABLE, and loves High School Musical- we get along great! :-P

My amazing apartment fell through (of COURSE), but I think I found a different, almost as amazing one.  I'm trying to ENJOY having lots of free time in an amazing city, instead of worrying about the unknowns all the time.  Everything will work out one way or another.

Hope everyone's work/school/summers are going well.  I wish I were at Myrtle Beach with you family type people right now, the house looks awesome!  I miss you all, besos y abrazos!

4 comments:

Marissa said...

I was feeling all special with your shout out, but then you had to go and give one to your family (and Christine).... .... By the way, I hope they know I'm TOTALLY kidding.

How familiar are Argentinians with American news/culture? Do they want to learn from you all these things?

Anonymous said...

Oh, High School Musical, forging bonds between nations!

Mom

Carrie said...

Nice sentence structure Marissa - do they want to learn from you all these things? What is that? lol

Also, I happen to LOVE HSM too and am eagerly awaiting HSM3!!! Also, I love 10-12 year olds and like them to be my BFFs - just ask Marissa.

I want to come visit you too. Too bad I'm poor and working/living in nyc now.

Marissa said...

Yeah well, Jessie's the ESL teacher, so I should be off the hook on that one.