Sunday, October 12, 2008

A tale of woe and horror

I have something very personal and disturbing to share with you all. This may come as a shock; indeed, when it happened, I was surprised and disgusted with myself. Argentina has apparently changed me in more ways than I could ever have imagined. A few days ago, ashamed as I am to say it, I was faced with temptation, and I gave in. In the past, I wouldn't even have batted an eyelash over this kind of evil, but I guess I am now a different kind of person. Somewhat sadly, I admit to you that I ate ham.

It wasn't a decision I made lightly. I haven't had ham in 9 years, and I don't think I ever seriously considered eating it in all that time. However, since being in Buenos Aires, meat has become strangely appealing. I don't want to analyze that too much. One of my favorite empanada places, La Continental, also makes pizza with crispy onions called fugazza. If you want melty, delicious cheese on the pizza as well (fugazzetta), the ham comes along with it. One day, my curiousity got the best of me and I decided to get the cheese version, braving a ham encounter. It was just a thin layer, but it came between the dough and the cheese/onions, so it could not be removed. Fortunately, I couldn't really tell it was there at all, but who knows, if I had I might even have enjoyed it more. What is happening over here?

A big T-bone steak might be next.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you come home, we'll have to go to Arby's for a jamocha shake, some curly fries, and a BIG HAM AND CHEESE samich. Mmmmmm!

Mom

P.S. I beat Marissa!!!

Marissa said...

I was too busy being concerned for my hair to comment immediately.

dstein said...

entonces sobreviviste madrid, con los palacios de jamon y los museos de jamon y a argentina, al decidir de comer carne, ¿decidiste de dejar los famosos bistecs al favor de comer jamonnnnn? y te llamas una buena judía. ay dios.