Sunday, April 5, 2009

Baficimo

Tonight, I went to Abasto mall to see a movie. This week was the Buenos Aires Festival Internacional de Cinema Independiente (BAFICI). Literally hundreds of movies were shown in six or so theaters (and an open-air "theater" in the Plaza San Martin de Tours on weekends).

I didn't get my act together until the last day of the festival, so the film choices were a bit limited. We were later than we meant to be, and by the time we found the right ticket line etc. etc. it was past 8:30. The next show times were 8:45 and 10:15, so we had to go with the 8:45, which was a documentary about Japanese gangster movies. I was wary, especially since it was a film about Japanese movies, with a French director, showing in Argentina. The full title is "Yakuza Eiga: Une histoire secrete du cinema japonais." But the movie turned out to be strangely awesome. The subtitles were even in English (as well as Spanish), so we weren't totally confused the whole time. What's more, the theater was COMPLETELY full. As in people-sitting-in-the-aisles full. I've never been to a film festival screening before, but there's something awesome about tons of people deciding to watch a random, off-beat movie on a Sunday night, just because. I might be assuming too much, but I don't think all those people are Japanese film buffs. Maybe they just go there for the nachos and sugared popcorn.

A randomly fab outing. I have a mosquito bite on my eyelid, but otherwise it's been a good weekend.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Did you get Kosher McDonald's?